DEW Engineering and Development is a multi-divisional technology company that designs and manufactures innovative products for global clients. DEW provides a wide range of services and products to our military and commercial customers including: design, test and evaluation; prototyping and development; and manufacturing. DEW offers opportunities for growth, an attractive salary, a comprehensive benefit package and an environment that promotes personal and professional success. We currently have an opening for the following position:
The Chief Engineer reports directly to the Engineering Manager.
The Chief Engineers job is to focus on the day-to-day actives of the engineers with respect to design work on current programs. To interact with the PM team and drafting to ensure that current work is kept on track and budget.
Responsibilities & Duties:
(Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following)
Engineering, Design and Development:
- Manage daily engineering workload
- Key Contact between PM team and Engineering at the project level to ensure that customer requirements are understood and met
- Lead preliminary, interim, and final engineering design reviews
- Ensure proper documentation for all work and products
- Ensure compliance with applicable standards and regulations, processes, procedures, and documentation relating to the engineering department
- Responsible for design and integration of complete program
- Responsible to ensure manufacturability of design
- Perform design reviews with relevant parties
- Integrate Electrical and Mechanical aspects of programs
- Testing and compliance of the design
- Coordinate and manage the daily actives of the engineers
- Lead design work for all engineers
- Provide technical guidance and direction to staff
- Assist in long-term planning for the department
- Prepare and conduct performance reviews for employee
- Lead cross functional teams to drive on time and budget design for programs
- Track team hours and costs as actual vs. Budget
- Track Open issues and drive completion
- Report program metrics to management
- Document all relevant activities.
- Assist with the preparation of patent filings and proposals
- Provide regular status reports and present to the manager as required
- Encourage open communication within department and with other stakeholders
- Create and foster teamwork in department
- Adhere to all environmental, health and safety regulations and follow the environmental and quality management systems
- Travel as required
- Other Duties as assigned
- Five years experience in a systems or mechanical engineering position
- Experience with product and process design
- Experience leading small teams of Engineers
Education/ Professional Certification:
- Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering
- Professional Engineer of Ontario
- Proficient with Autodesk® software design tools, including AutoCAD and Inventor
- Able to read and interpret engineering drawings and specifications
- Excellent technical knowledge of electro-mechanical systems
- Strong leadership and supervisory skills
- Excellent organization, prioritization, planning and scheduling skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Able to work with minimal supervision
- Able to motivate a team
- Detail oriented
- Proactive thinker
If your background is a match and you are interested in pursuing this challenging opportunity, please forward your resume in confidence with “Chief Engineer” in the subject line.
While we thank all those who apply, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
DEW is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
DEW strives to create a respectful, accessible and inclusive work environment. Upon individual request, DEW will endeavor to remove any barrier to the hiring process to accommodate those candidates with disabilities. Should any applicant require accommodation through the application, interview or selection processes, please contact Human Resources.