DEW Engineering and Development is a multi-divisional technology company that designs and manufactures innovative products for global clients. DEW provides a wide range of services and products to our military and commercial customers including: design, test and evaluation; prototyping and development; and manufacturing. DEW offers opportunities for growth, an attractive salary, a comprehensive benefit package and an environment that promotes personal and professional success. We currently have an opening for the following position:
Environmental Health and Safety Specialist
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Reporting to the Senior Director Compliance, the EHS Specialist, working with all departments, is responsible for the planning, implementation, and enforcement of DEW Engineering’s Environmental, Health, and Safety (EHS) policies and procedures. Without limiting the preceding, this includes:
- Identify and ensure compliance with all applicable environmental regulations
- Make recommendations for improvements to DEW’s processes to reduce or eliminate environmental aspects and impacts and ensure environmental objectives are met
- Review all existing and new equipment/process acquisitions for environmental impacts
- Provide support to ensure that new hazardous materials are not introduced into our processes or products
- Assist with Product Lifecycle Assessments for new programs
- Maintain TDG Manifests, Hazardous Waste Program Registry and Environmental Compliance Approvals
- Maintain DEW’s Environmental Management System (EMS)
- Audit for regulatory compliance and conformance to EMS requirements
- Report to Organization and Regulatory bodies (e.g., City of Ottawa, MECP) in a timely fashion
- Promptly follow up on action to prevent the occurrence of negative environmental impacts related to our products or services, processes
- Maintain Environmental Aspects and Impacts Register and other records
Health and safety:
- Identify and ensure compliance with all applicable OHS regulations
- Perform root cause analysis and assess effectiveness of implemented corrective and preventative actions
- Implement new OHS programs to ensure continuous improvement.
- Initiate and assist with the development of site-specific controls and programs, risk/hazard assessments, prestart health and safety reviews, hot work permits, and the implementation of tools to maximize health and safety compliance and performance.
- Ensures the Joint Health and Safety Committee completes the requirements outlined in legislation.
- Conduct employee Health and Safety orientation program for new employees.
- Educate and train management and staff about their responsibility in health and safety program.
- Liaise with Ministry of Labour, WSIB and health and safety consultants as required and escort, with the worker representative, Ministry of Labour and other inspectors.
- Monitor WHMIS and SDS for updates and maintain SDS database.
- Bachelor’s Degree in environmental studies or comparable experience
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in an environment, health and safety role.
- Strong working knowledge of OHSA, Environmental regulations as applicable to a manufacturing organization required
- Previous auditing experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Strong organizational, planning and scheduling skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team or independently with minimal supervision
- Strong attention to detail
If your background is a match and you are interested in pursuing this challenging opportunity, please forward your resume in confidence with “EHS Specialist” in the subject line.
While we thank all those who apply, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
DEW is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
DEW strives to create a respectful, accessible and inclusive work environment. Upon individual request, DEW will endeavor to remove any barrier to the hiring process to accommodate those candidates with disabilities. Should any applicant require accommodation through the application, interview or selection processes, please contact Human Resources.